Sheepdog Self Protection Inc offers a full time self protection program called Integrated Street Combatives (ISC). ISC is an eclectic style of self protection which covers the following ranges of combat:
- Psychological range
- Ballistic ground fighting range
- Stand up grappling range
- Punching range
- Kicking range
- Weapons range ( gun, knife, club, O.C.)
Sheepdog Self Protection does not publicly advertise for this program as most students come to us seeking the training as they have heard about the program through word of mouth. Once a potential student has been identified and has shown interest, prior to being accepted, ISC staff conduct an interview with each potential candidate to ensure that they want to train for the right reasons. Once accepted into the Level 1 program, the first 4 weeks are designed to push students to both their physical and psychological limits. The average drop out at this stage is 45%. For those students who make it past the 4 weeks, training in combatives now begins.
The Level 1 Beginner Program- “The Juniors”
Don’t be mistaken by the name “Juniors”. Our youngest student is 19. Our oldest student is 57. The Level 1 Beginner Program is the basic course which spans over a six month period. Each class is approx 1–1.5 hours in length, and students come twice a week.
Topics covered include:
- Combative theory and mindset development
- Combative Fitness Drills
- Combative Attribute Drills
- Pre-contact psychology
- Non-verbal, verbal Communication strategies
- Hand/arm techniques (finger jab, palm heal strikes, hammer fists, elbows, forearm strikes)
- Leg Strikes/Kicks (Shin hack, knee strikes, front and rear snap kicks, front and rear thrust kicks, stomps, low round kick, back kick)
- Combative movement drills
- Alternative body strikes/Attacks (head butt, groin slaps, biting, spitting, rips gouges and squeezes, ear percussions, shoulder butts)
- Immediate Disposal Drills from all Ranges
At the end of the six-month beginner program, there is a four hour testing phase which includes a written test, physical proficiency test, and scenario based Force on Force testing. Upon successful graduation students are moved up to what ISC calls the Senior class.
The Senior Program
The Level 1 Beginner program is the foundation from which everything else in ISC is to be learned. Upon entering the Senior Program, students do not learn anything new, but take the principles they learned in the Level 1 Beginner program and apply them in diverse applications such as:
- Multiple opponents
- Weapons (Gun, knife, club, O.C.)
- Scenario based Force on Force training
- Ballistic ground fighting
- Break contact drills that we call CRASH (Combative Responses Against Spontaneous Hostility) chokes, grabs, bear hugs, ect.
- Combative throws and chokes
Environmental Stress Inoculation:
To make the training as realistic as possible we have strobe lights, fog machine, cameras, as well as other tools and props to make the training environment as close to reality as possible.
If you have never fought in an environment where the strobes and lights are blinking, the music is blaring, and the smoke is thick (eg. Night club), it can really cause problems with your combative perception/reaction big time. The more real one can make their training environment, the better.
Some of the other things ISC does to make the training as real as possible:
- Tying of an arm to the body to replicate a broken or injured limb
- Covering one or both eyes to deal with sight deprivation and increase tactile sensitivity during Close Quarter Battle (CQB)
- Wearing goggles that are obscured to blur vision
- Training out in the environment (during heavy rain, on hills, uneven ground, darkness)
- Video feedback training. This is especially powerful during scenario based training.
Pursuing a career in Law Enforcement? Security? Border services? Close Protection? The mental and physical skills you will develop in this program will assist in making you a competitive candidate in any recruiting process. The skills you will develop in the junior program combined with the skills and scenarios you will be exposed to in the senior class will mentally and physically prepare you for almost any encounter you will experience in the above mentioned professions. Kris and Francois are dedicated to ensuring you, your families, and your colleagues make it home safe at the end of each shift, mission, or detail.
Taking this class to protect Yourself and the Ones You Love? That is what motivated us to begin this journey many years ago. Be the Sheepdog.
For information on registration and pricing for the Level 1 Beginner Program please contact us directly.