Sheepdog Self Protection Inc offers a full time self protection program called Integrated Street Combatives (ISC). ISC is the best program out there to provide you with the fundamental skills to prepare you for any confrontation.
ISC is an eclectic style of self protection which covers the following ranges of combat:
- Psychological range
- Ballistic ground fighting range
- Stand up grappling range
- Punching range
- Kicking range
- Weapons range ( gun, knife, club, O.C.)
Why the name Integrated Street Combatives aka ISC?
At ISC we combine a variety of mixed martial arts and integrate them to create a system that is effective and efficient in a real life confrontation.
What makes ISC different?
Unlike many mixed martial arts that focus on the physical aspects of fighting, we provide you with the fundamental skills on how to prevent a physical confrontation from occurring in the first place. Participants are provided prevention strategies on how to prevent, and/or avoid, a stranger on stranger attack. We then educate students on how to de-escalate a confrontation using verbal communication. If you can walk and talk your way out of a physical fight, high five, you’re doing a good job. The second you go hands on with someone your risk of injury sky rockets. We provide you with the necessary skills to de-escalate conflict and seek safety without going hands on.
Reality: There are times that, no matter how much you walk and talk, some interactions will go hands on. If you can not walk and talk your way out of a confrontation we provide you with the fundamental physical skills to de-escalate the situation and end the fight quickly.
Legal Aspects: Unlike most mixed martial arts that focus solely on the physical skills, we educate participants on threat perception, the criminal code, and how you articulate yourself; what you did, how you did it, and why you did it.
The Level 1 Beginner Program- “The Juniors”
Don’t be mistaken by the name “Juniors”. Our youngest student is 20. Our oldest student is 59. The Level 1 Beginner Program is the basic course which spans over a four month period. Each class is approx 1–1.5 hours in length, and students attend twice a week (Sunday and Wednesday evenings). The “Juniors” train out of MelFit in Westshore.
Topics covered include:
- Combative theory and mindset development
- Combative Fitness Drills
- Pre-contact psychology
- Non-verbal, verbal Communication strategies
- Hand/arm techniques/ strikes
- Leg Strikes/Kicks
- Combative movement drills
- Alternative body strikes/Attacks
- Immediate Disposal Drills from all Ranges
- Criminal Code of Canada, Threat Perception, Pre-Assaultive Cues
At the end of the four month beginner program, there is a 4 hour testing phase which includes a written test, physical proficiency test, and scenario based Force on Force testing. Upon successful graduation students are moved up to, what ISC calls, the “Senior” class.
Cost: $125/ month paid in 2 month instalments
Interested? Come view a senior class! Contact us directly to view a senior class and obtain information on the next upcoming junior program.
The Senior Program
The Level 1 Beginner program is the foundation from which everything else in ISC is to be learned. Advanced tactics are nothing more than the basics mastered. Upon entering the Senior Program, students do not learn anything new, but take the principles they learned in the Level 1 Beginner program and apply them in diverse applications such as:
- Multiple opponents
- Weapons: edged weapons, firearms, blunt impact weapons, bats
- Scenario based Force on Force training
- Ballistic ground fighting
- Break contact drills that we call CRASH (Combative Responses Against Spontaneous Hostility) chokes, grabs, bear hugs
- Combative throws
Cost: $110/ month paid monthly
Environmental Stress Inoculation:
To make the training as realistic as possible we have strobe lights, fog machines, cameras, as well as other tools and props to make the training environment as close to reality as possible.
If you have never fought in an environment where the strobes and lights are blinking, the music is blaring, and the smoke is thick, it can cause problems with your combative perception/reaction. The more real one can make their training environment, the better. The senior class trains in all conditions including the rain, snow, heat, low light, in the mud, on the grass, in the sand, in gravel, in close quarters, in open air, standing, seated, in vehicles… You name it. We train it.
What else do we do to make the training as real as possible?
- Tying of an arm to the body to replicate a broken or injured limb
- Covering one or both eyes to deal with sight deprivation and increase tactile sensitivity during Close Quarter Battle (CQB)
- Wearing goggles that are obscured to blur vision
- Training out in the environment (during heavy rain, on hills, uneven ground, darkness)
- Video feedback training. This is especially powerful during scenario based training.
- And much more…
- All fitness levels welcome!
- This course is physical. We will push you mentally and physically. This is done for a reason, for you to see what your body is truly capable of achieving. For many students this is the ah-ha moment in training, when you push yourself beyond your comfort zone. You WILL get comfortable feeling uncomfortable.
- ISC is not a competition with anyone else but yourself. We have seen triathlon athletes quit while the stay at home mother of 4 perseveres to graduation.
POPAT/ SOPAT/ COPAT/ PARE Training:
- The physical conditioning during every class is geared, not only toward those seeking to improve their personal fitness, but also those who aspire to achieve the best time possible during pre-employment physical testing. The drills are tailored to improve your anaerobic cardiovascular system and full body strength training. We want to see you succeed!
Pursuing a Career in Law Enforcement? Security? Sheriffs? Border services?
This is the complete package to prepare you for any occupation to which you are responsible for keeping the public safe, your colleagues safe, and yourself safe. The mental and physical skills you will develop in this program will assist in making you a competitive candidate in any recruiting process. The skills you will develop in the junior program combined with the skills and scenarios you will be exposed to in the senior class will mentally and physically prepare you for almost any encounter you will experience in the above mentioned professions. Kris and Francois are dedicated to ensuring you, your families, and your colleagues make it home safe at the end of each shift, mission, or detail.
Taking this Class to Protect Yourself and the Ones You Love?
That is what motivated us to begin this journey many years ago. Be the Sheepdog.
For information on registration for the Level 1 Beginner Program please contact us directly.